Perdido Street Station  - China Miéville

Ridiculously imaginative. The book you can really split into two parts. The first half builds the characters of Isaac, Lin and Yagharek. You feel as though the story will be based around the quest of Yagharek to regain flight through Isaac, the mad scientist and main character. However with the second half it becomes apparent that this is a sub plot building up to expose the main story line of giant brain sucking moths roaming around the city.

I have to say that it is wonderfully crafted for the most part. There are many different strands to the story and a world like New Crobuzon rivals George R.R. Martin's A song of ice and fire for scale. The skill involved in order to first give birth to all the imaginings contained within the story and then contain your excitement enough to coherently put them down not only in a structured way, but a way that plays perfectly into a flowing, engrossing story is pretty awe inspiring. A lot of it you don't see coming which is a breathe of fresh air where I am concerned. I remember reading it in the park and smiling to myself because I felt like I had finally found something worthy of my appetite.

It is a reminder that when it comes to the pursuit of creativity, the best approach is always a gung ho, no holds barred approach. It reminds me to just go with my imagination, trust it and let my own works be pure and creative as opposed to constructed with a set of parameters and an end goal in mind. Honestly I found this book inspiring and I hope to finish off the Bas Lag series.

The only slight criticism is that the book is very well paced and crafted for the majority. From the beginning through to the middle section, but I feel like it over reaches towards the end. The pace is too slow, too much that is new is brought in, in a way that doesn't benefit the story and the ending leaves you slightly dissatisfied. The character of Lin was one of better ones for me and it was a shame that her character was built so well and you could really connect with her only for her to be absent for the second half of the book and Derkhan, a weaker character, to take her place.

But I won't let any small criticisms take away from what was one of the most enjoyable fantasy books that I have read. I think anyone with a loose interest in the genre should definitely give this a go, apologies in advance if my review is poor grammatically or contains errors, I won't be editing it. Enjoy the rest of your week and pick this up if you can. KS